Today marks the beginning of The Victory Formation’s top-40 countdown. The poll was based on 5 of our writers submitting their own top-40 and then averaging out each poll. We will do one preview each week day until we get to the final two teams. The final two will be unveiled Thursday, September 1st. The previews won’t be written by just one or two people, so hopefully you’ll get a different take on many of the teams in the countdown. While we can all agree that official preseason polls are not good for the game, the unofficial ones coming from random bloggers are fantastic, right? Some things to ponder before we get this show underway: Will the SEC make it 6 consecutive national championships? Will Ohio State crumble under the weight of the NCAA banhammer? Can Notre Dame get back to the BCS? Will Jordan Jefferson continue to be the reason LSU can’t get back to the SEC title game? How will Auburn recover from it’s losses? Will Chip Kelly be the Oregon coach in December? How will Nebraska handle moving to the Big 10? Is either Boise State or TCU a top-10 team? There are so many story lines in college football, and we are just 52 days shy of opening night. The excitement is palpable.
Here are some things to know about the poll.
- The teams were based on how we think the polls will look after the conference title games
- The top two teams were separated by just two points.
- The SEC leads with 8 teams
B1GBig 10 and Pac 12 each have 7
- The ACC has 6
- The Big 12 has 5
- The Big East and the Mountain West each have 2 teams
- No conference has more than 2 teams in the top 10
- The SEC leads with 7 top-25 teams
- The Big 10 has 5 in the top 25
- The Big 12 has 4 in the top 25
- The Pac 12 has 3 in the top 25
- The ACC has 2 in the top 25
- The Big East has 1 in the top 25